Friday, May 19, 2006

Tools of the Trade - #4

Job 1:20,21 - Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head, and he fell to the ground and worshiped. And he said, “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, And naked I shall return there. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.”

Job had just learned of the destruction of his entire estate as well as the death of all of his children. This was his first response. Read it again.

This was his FIRST response. Did he fall to the ground and weep? No. He fell down and WORSHIPED. Did he cry out in anger? No. He said, "Blessed be the name of the Lord." I'm truly shocked. It's true that we only understand what's inside our hearts when we are squeezed and crushed. I think I might be a lemon, especially compared to Job.

Today I rebelled outright. It had been a bad day and I decided (with full knowledge of my rebellious heart) that a Snickers bar was in order. I thought about the tools that I wrote about this week, but I just kept coming up blank. I kept thinking as I stared at the candy in the front seat of my car "I know I shouldn't have this but I don't know what else to DO. I need to DO something to get me past this feeling." The Snickers went down the hatch, despite the triviality of my situation.

Then this song came on the radio, by the band Casting Crowns:

I’ll praise You in this storm

And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
Every tear I’ve cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

Revelation!

PRAISE is the perfect action for the frustrated heart and the nagging stomach. We can pray, but then there tends to be a waiting period. How can we persevere, except by taking our minds off of the matter at hand? Praise is the perfect solution. I should have thrown the candy bar in the back of the car where I couldn't reach it. Then I should have spoken about 15 things that were great about my day. I might have even added a thankful list. And then finished it off by turning up the radio and singing loudly in my off-key bad-movie voice. I think I'll try that next time.

Thank you, God, that tomorrow is another day. Thank you, that I haven't suffered as Job did. Thank you, that you are turning my heart into something different than what it is today.

3 Comments:

At 3:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How true! God is there for us every moment of every day. If we could only remember to turn to Him. You are right about the moments between when we pray and when He answeres. I will try Praise.

 
At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's up to every body, it's my first go to see of this weblog; this web site carries remarkable and genuinely good material for visitors.


Also visit my site; diet plans that work

 
At 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it, you happen
to be a great author. I will be sure to
bookmark your blog and definitely will come back from now
on. I want to encourage you continue your great
job, have a nice weekend!

My site: diets that work fast

 

Post a Comment

<< Home